The Transformational LIFE Strategy (TLS) helps us frame the call to kingdom living. It is firstly, an encouragement and guide to the disciple of Jesus in seeking to imitate Jesus in word and deed. Secondarily, it is an organizational structure for our groups such that they live out the call to abundant life. Periodically, I use TLS to evaluate my own obedience and affection toward the Lord. I encourage you to do the same for yourself, your family, and your group. Find below the description of the function and a few examples. If you don’t have group members who fulfill these functions, begin praying that the Spirit might quicken someone towards that ministry.
L – Love one another. Jesus says in John 13:35, by this they will know that you are my disciples: that you have love for one another. Jesus is talking to his 12 there, not the entirety of the masses who followed him.
- Praying for and with the group
- Ministry in and out of crisis
- Care groups for ministry and encouragement
I – Involved in community. The early church gathered in the temple daily and broke bread house by house. (Acts 2:40ff) They were together, daily . . . may we strive for that!
- Dinner groups that meet monthly
- Seasonal parties
- Group outings to ball games, retreats, etc.
F – Focused on God’s Word. The early church devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching (Acts 2:42) and Jesus said that if we abide in His word, then we are His disciples. (John 8:31)
- Teach the Bible in its historical, cultural, and grammatical context
- Model and train your group to read the Bible well and to read it daily; give a set of Scriptures to be read each week before the lesson
- Give 1-3 ways the group should “live out” the text each week
E – Engage the world. We are called to disciple all people by baptizing them and teaching them to obey all that Jesus commanded. (Matthew 28:19-20) To do that, we must get into our communities?
- Adopt a project by partnering with a local missions partner; take a mission trip every so often to model it for your group
- Keep an ongoing list of lost people to pray for and pray for foreign missionaries (find some specific ones)
- Invite one or two like-gendered people to be discipled by you with the intent that they would then disciple 2 others.
We must, as leaders, demonstrate for our people and do to our people those things we expect them to live out and remain faithful to. We, as leaders, are called to equip the saints for the work of ministry. We are here to support you and partner with you in that calling.